An Understanding Of Student And Parent Rights
If you and your child are having trouble getting the educational support you need from a Northern Virginia school, you need an experienced education law attorney to advocate for your family. Relying on the school system to address your child’s needs is not always possible or sufficient. The Law Office of Joan H. Proper, PC, is devoted to student legal issues and can help you identify and understand your rights and protect them.
Whether your student needs help addressing an issue with the school system, has a health impairment, autism, a learning or emotional disability or some other need, we can help you help your child.
While our office is based in Prince William County, our attorneys are able to consult with and represent parents in special education matters throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia.
A Comprehensive Knowledge Of The Educational System
We fundamentally understand the school system when providing advice to parents and when advocating for clients. To fully understand student and parent rights, and the options you can pursue, consulting our firm could make the difference in getting the support you need in Northern Virginia and the neighboring communities.
We handle simple and more complicated education law issues, including, but not limited to:
- School suspension and expulsion hearings and appeals, including school board hearings
- Office of Student Management and Alternative Programs (OSMAP) hearings
- 504 plan eligibility and development issues
- Casualty hearings and Manifestation Determination Review (MDR) hearings
- Truancy issues, including Child in Need of Supervision or Services (CHINS)
- Ongoing behavior needs, including FBA and BIP development and implementation
- IEP development and implementation issues
- Special education and IDEA eligibility
- Placement disputes
- Transportation issues
- State complaints, mediation and due process hearings
- Office for Civil Rights Complaints
There are many options available. Our experience in the educational system is a fantastic resource for parents who are at a loss on how to help their child succeed. We work with a network of professionals, including psychologists, educational advocates and consultants, therapists, mental health professionals, neuropsychologists and other providers. No matter your child’s issue, we will work with you to help you find a solution.
Preserve Your Relationships
Often, when parents attempt to deal with these educational systems alone, emotions can become heightened and relationships can become strained. By hiring a lawyer, you can mitigate or even avoid these issues. Our process involves efficient and practical problem-solving to help your child obtain support while maintaining positive working relationships with his or her school.
Ultimately, our goal is to work with you and your child’s school to secure a positive outcome. Contact us online or call us at 703-291-6660 to arrange a consultation.